Your cart is empty.
We'll get back to you as soon as possible.
Just leave your name and email. A member of the Medovie team will be in touch soon. If you’d like to DM us, that works too.
June 25, 2021 · 6 min read
A soup with pleasing colours, a bit of sharpness from the ginger and garlic, and sweetness from the root vegetables and the leek. To enrich the orange root vegetables soup with proteins, add half a cup of red split lentils to the pot when you start cooking.
• 6-8 cups vegetable stock or water
• 2 tbsp coconut oil, olive oil, or butter
• 2 onions, chopped
• 6-8 cloves garlic, sliced
• 2 cm fresh turmeric root, peeled and sliced
• 2 cm fresh ginger root, peeled and sliced
• 2 sweet potatoes, cut into chunks
• 2 carrots, thickly sliced
• 2 cups medium cubes of butternut squash or pumpkin, peeled and deseeded
• Sea salt and coarsely ground pepper
• To serve:
• 1 leek, thinly sliced
• 1 tbsp olive oil + more for serving
• Pinch of sea salt
• A handful of finely chopped chives or spring onions
• Grated lemon zest
• Preheat the oven to 160C/Gas3.
• Pour the stock or water into a soup pot and bring to a boil.
• In a separate medium pot, heat the coconut oil, and olive oil or butter. Sauté the onions, garlic, turmeric, and ginger for 5 minutes, until the onions are translucent. Add the vegetables and continue cooking over medium heat.
• Add 1 cup of the hot stock or water, bring to a boil for 5 minutes.
• Add the rest of the liquid gradually and simmer for 30 minutes.
• Meanwhile, mix the leek in a bowl with 1 tbsp of olive oil and salt. Spread on a baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes, until the leek slices turn light gold. Transfer into a plate and cool.
• Transfer the soup into a blender and blend into a smooth puree. If too thick, add a little stock or water to achieve the desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
• Spoon the soup into soup bowls and garnish with leek slices and chives or spring onions. Sprinkle some olive oil and grated lemon zest and serve.
The orange root vegetables soup will last up to 3 days when stored in a closed container inside the fridge.